Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Tuesday, July 12--Arlington, Capitol, White House, and More!

Tuesday, July 12

  So far this trip for me has been amazing, but today especially, will be one I'll never forget. Today we went to Arlington National Cemetery. Several months before the trip, I sent an email to Mr. Kedley asking him if I could be apart of the Laying of the Wreath ceremony that takes place at the Tomb of the Unknown Solider. He said yes being that I was the only one (at that time) to ask him to be apart of it. I was going to do this for my grandfather who served in World War 2 as a Staff Sargent for the 808 Tank Destroyers. He was on the battlefield while fighting the Battle of the Bulge. While he was fighting, he got shot in the heart, but the bullet didn't get pass his Bible with an iron cover on it. That could have been the end of his life if he didn't have his Bible in front of his heart. I don't have any memories of him because he died of a heart attack when I was very young. I knew he would be very proud of me if I did this for him. Seeing the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is so much different than seeing in a book. You can feel the emotion there, and I'm a very emotional person so it was hard for me to hold back tears. It was really hot that day and the unfortunate part was that I was wearing long black pants and a white shirt with a black cover up. Speed walking up the hill was terrible, especially for me because I'm short and my legs don't take that big of steps so keeping up with the group was difficult. We got up top and a man instructed us what to do. We stood at the top and watched the Changing of Guard which was really interesting.  As we were watching the first group, I started to tear up when they were playing Taps. After the first group finished up, another boy that also asked Kedley to do this, was in the front with me. We would be placing the wreath. Mr. Kedley and another boy was behind us. As the guards finished up what they were doing, the guard that would take us down came up. Everyone knows that they are really serious and have that serious look, but as he approached us, it was like a rock turned into cotton ball. He spoke to us casually, but seriously. He instructed us what to do and we approached the steps. As he quietly said go, we took our first step with our left foot down the stairs. I tried my best to keep in step with him, but that wasn't very hard with my marching band experience. As we approached the tomb, I started to get nervous. I stepped up and the guard that was previously on duty asked us to keep both hands on the wreath. The wreath had a ribbon with Clarke Middle High School written on it. We grabbed the wreath and placed it on the stand. We returned back across the black mat that the guards walked across. Taps rang out through the silence as tears streamed down my face as I realized the honor I had done. As the song ended, we retuned back up the stairs. It was such an honor that I got to do this and when my children learn about this, I will get to tell them that I did this for their great-grandfather. 
                                                                                 ~From Alena Allen, 10th Grade

Today I took a selfie with Senator Joni Ernst and Miss America!!
                                         ~Jenna Kosman

I witnessed the most impressive thing I have ever seen. Today we watched the changing of the guards. We also got to visit Captain David Wisniewski today.
                               -Landi

I liked the Library of Congress. I liked to see actual Congress people at work in the reading room. In the Capitol I learned that Trimble (a painter) kept including himself in his paintings. I liked seeing the White House. I didn't know there was that much white in the world. It would have been nice if we could have gone inside to see the White House. I liked seeing the Change of the Guards at Arlington. I liked how they were walking and their feet moved in a balanced almost slow-paced step. Each time they were in the line they moved together. I liked how they moved their weaponry. I learned that the gun has to be six inches from the chest. Each time they had to count their 21 steps before turning. They do 21 steps because of the 21 gun salute. 
                               -Rene


This day was started at Arlington,We saw the eternal flame of JFK, the tomb of the unknown soldier. They were all cool but it seemed like there was something needed but then as we left I heard it, an actual 21 gun salute. It was sad that someone died for us but hearing that sound made the trip the ultimate experience.
                                                                         -Seth


We started this morning at Arlington. Our first stop was the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Many of the students were impressed with the Changing of the Guards. The Changing of the Guards was followed by a wreath laying done by Alena, Gage, McCormick, and Mr. Kedley.  The students did a very nice job being respectful and honoring fallen soldiers. They then traveled to the Arlington House for a little tour before visiting the Kennedys' burial site. We then made the trek to section 60 to visit Captain David Wisniewski's burial site. He is Mr. Wisniewski's (fifth grade teacher at Clarke) brother. The students did a great job honoring him. Students had the opportunity to lay a pebble on his tomb stone symbolizing that someone recently visited him. 

After Arlington we went to a local mall to have lunch. Students then had the opportunity to shop around a little bit, many bought new hats.

The Capitol was our next stop. We went through Senator Joni Ernst's office to receive a guided tour. We also met and took at photo with Senator Ernst. The tour was filled with information and history.  It also so happened that the Miss America contestants were visiting the Capitol at the same time so some people got their photo with Miss America and some of the other contestants. 

After the Capitol we walked through the tunnel to the Library of Congress. Many students were impressed with the reading room--they recognized it from the movie National Treasure. We then walked by the Supreme Court building before heading back to the bus. 

We then headed to the White House for some photo opportunities. They were blocking off a lot of the road in front of the White House so we couldn't get close. 

After parting ways with our tour guide, George we headed to Bugsy's Restaurant in Alexandria for a pizza buffet dinner. It was very good.

Before our ghost tour we had some time to kill so we split up. Some kids got ice cream, some went souvenir shopping, and some walked to the Waterfront. 

Our final event of the evening was the Alexandria Ghost and Legend Tour.  We split the group into two groups and one group did the North tour, while the other did the South tour. I was with the North tour and it was very interesting. 

Right now, I am sitting outside our hotel as almost the entire group of students swims in the outdoor pool. They are having a blast...which means they will sleep well tonight! 




  

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very full and fun day!! Thank you for the updates and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing! Have fun you guys!

    ReplyDelete